Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Coming out of the Broom Closet...

I'd like to start a dialogue with others in our group, a few months ago my mom confronted me about why I no longer attended church. I immediately cringed and felt like a witch about to be burned.
Her question wasn't the problem but her manner, her intense fear flowing from each word freaked me out.
So I flatly said that I didn't get any spiritual fulfillment from the Catholich church.
Then we had a 30 minute long debate about the origins of religion and I atleast should come to church once a month blah blah blah.
I eventually became emotional and started weeping, the fear infected me at this point as I wondered if she'd still love me if she knew I was a pagan. I was as honest as possible but I feel like I have one foot out and then the rest of me trembling with the broom stick.

UGH!

So Lords and Ladies have you come out? Do you plan to?

3 comments:

Celtic Crystal said...

Actually it never reached to that point for me. I just said I hated going to church and refused to discuss it. You should have seen the situation when my daughter was born and niether I nor my husband made any moves to baptise her. My mother was busy cricheting the christening gown, and her face fell when I said we weren't in any hurry to christen her.
My husband does not believe that religions can help a person... he believes in practical spirituality..do what you believe is right based on the circumstances, not based on a dogma. He never commented about my books or the things he sees around the house..he has made plans to take me to a paranormal/mystic bookstore when we visit travel later this year. YAY!
Your faith is no bodies business... especially if you are an adult.

Celtic Crystal said...

My friends know, my perents suspect, but it hasn't been brought up. And I wouldn't come out to anyone who I knew would not be supportive.

It your right to choose your religion. No one can force you to believe what you don't....just tell them you are born again christian or something and don't feel comfortable going to their church.
Do you live with them?

Kore said...

Yeah, I still live with my folks fortunately my Mom has stopped talking about it. I think she remembers that I've always been a bit different and to let the subject go.
But if I ever have my own kids their choice of religion or lack thereof is up to them and they shouldn't feel afraid to share beliefs and ideas.