Friday, August 6, 2010

Learning Wicca




We have become accustomed to a particular learning process in Trinidad. We sit, facing a teacher, in a concrete box and just listen and absorb everything that the teacher tells us is important. We are also told exactly how to apply what we have learnt to our environment. We are told how to think about what we are taught, and just follow instructions. We do not learn to interpret, associate, apply critical thinking.......

Witchcraft, by its nature, is not supposed to have a structured approach. At this time, a movement can be observed to create traditions, which dictate structure and "correctness" in rituals and form. Several Craftworkers are wary of this because it detracts from what this belief was intended for.

Witchcraft takes the individual through a mental process. There is a period of learning yourself, and the things that trigger interest in the individual. It is the act of observing this interest that leads us to pick which aspects of the Craft are suited to us. Those things which we believe in most are what usually works in the creation of personal rituals and spells.

Finding out what you want to learn about is a key part of the journey. Unless you are learning Traditional (insert label here) witchcraft, then you need a teacher in Traditional (insert label here) witchcraft. But you cannot make that decision to learn Traditional (insert label here) witchcraft unless you know that this is where your heart lies. There is an exploration process that you need to do on your own first.

The purpose of this blog, is not to tell you how to learn and what you should learn, but to be a forum for all of us who are interested, and who are learning on our own to discuss and possibly learn from each other.




The expectation, when people join this group sometimes is that someone is going to teach them. I am sorry to burst your bubble, but no one can teach you what your mind responds to......only you can do that. Witchcraft and Magick work best when the person knows what their mind responds to. I am sure that you have heard about teaching methodologies where children respond to visuals, some respond to sound, and some respond to practice.

Well in Witchcraft/Magick, some respond to Tarot, some respond to horoscopes, some to herbs, some to elemental magick....the only way you will learn what perks up your mind is to try them all...experiment...and have fun.

The internet has enormous resources.....don't pay...I haven't found any sites (I have tried about four) that offer any worth really...perhaps except www.witchschool.com. But even then, its geared to the Corelian Tradition, which is a combination of Native American beliefs and witchcraft.

What I have found, is that traditions which are part of your ethnic heritage seem to stike a chord with your inner being. So research and look into those.
The process is a Spiral Dance, which sees you returning to themes and topics, each time going deeper and deeper into the method.

I know this may disappoint some.....but this is really the best way to learn.

Blessed Be

1 comment:

Nazireh Reis said...

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would share my thoughts on this post...

As someone who is deeply interested in learning more about Wicca, I thought that this post gave really useful & wise advice to those who seek more information not only on Wicca, but other spiritual traditions as well.
When you really 'empty the cup'. open your heart to your intent, amazing things happen on your spiritual journey. You end up learning things in very unexpected ways. In my past experience I have learnt that the best way to seek knowledge besides reading and discussion, is through your own meditations/thinking and hard experience.

I guess it might take time for most of us who are accostumed to the whole 'structured, formatted syllabus' approach to get used to the more intuituve approach of Wicca & Witchcraft. The former approach has inundated our entire environment and some believe its the only true way to learn. But for me I have found the intuitive approach to be refreshing and a welcome balance to the mindless rationalism & logicality of our mundane surroundings. I honestly find it even more liberating at the beginning stage when you don't have a 'teacher/ guru/ shaykh' and the real teacher is the inner you. (But I do think it is important to have a teacher if you're inetrested in something specific). An example tfrom my own experience is having recently done some dreamwork its amazing the things that pop up in your dreams and what they can lead you on to learn about. I love this approach and I think you learn a lot about yourself & the things that are important to you in this way.

Anyway, thank u CC for this insightful post :D