I always try to resolve the temperate zone's interpretation of the Wheel of the Year and our tropical experience. In my need to create a Craft with Caribbean traditions, I sometimes reflect on the great waking up of this land we live on at this time. It seems that we have a creative waking up as our artists and creators prepare for the most creative time of the year.All the island's creative energies are poured into the time between now and Candlemas..... we truly come alive.
In thinking about creating a tradition unique to us, I see this as the awakening time, when we are most in touch with the higher Creative power ....
I also see the period between the Autumn Equinox and the Winter Solstice as the Festival of Lights...... drawing from Divali and Christmas Lighting up traditions......
I do not know if the Caribbean Wheel of the year can relate to eight Sabbats. But we can definitely relate to the aligning of the Solstices and Equinoxes in the refining of our own Caribbean Tradition....
Any thoughts on this people? Anyone up for a debate?
4 comments:
I definitely agree that reconciling our climate with the eight Sabbats can pose a problem. My aim this year is to focus on the lunar and solar cycles and connect with the more philosophical aspects of these sabbats. More and more I find myself moving away from the Sabbats and more towards the milestones in the movement of the planetary bodies (moon, Sun, planets etc...)
Plus remember that the background to these Sabbats is mostly based on European history before and in the early days of Christianity; esp in the rural, farming areas. Maybe the farmer's almanac as applied locally would be a great resource, such as the Corpus Christi holiday and the tradition of planting at that time!!
I agree with FeatherStone concerning the Sabbats...I personally work with the cycles of the Moon.
I also work with the cycles of the moon. However it is very hard to ignore the Solstices and Equinoxes which are considered as the lesser Sabbats. Never understood why and they do mark a difinitive celestial point in the earths cycles. With regard the the full and newoons, did u know that ech had a name. The wolf moon, deer moon , etc.? Again so named because of the temperate seasons. I'd like to see a book of days developed using the solstices and equinoxes and each new and full moon as well as using info about god and goddes days, herbs in season, etc. Buy the way, the old Farmers Almanac has a wealth of info about the planting year !!
Having moved to a temperate country, I think I can re-address this issue from my current perspective. I think anyone wanting to create a Practice in the Tropical regions should draw more on the indigenous/ transplanted cultural celebrations ( e.g. the TaĆno spiritual practices, Voodun, Orisha, etc.). In Tropical Africa I think they celebrate the coming of the Rains,that sort of thing. Trinidad has similar weather patterns i.e. just wet and dry, no Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter like the Temperate regions so we have to take this into consideration.
Post a Comment