Alright today I finally decided that I needed to post something on this blog and I thought the best way to start is to find out how all of us stumbled upon this wonderful world of magick.
When I was a child every month when there was a full moon I felt mystical and every sun ray that glazed on the palm leaf was a gateway to another deified land.
By the time I was a teenager I got fully involved in doing as much research into witchcraft and paganism as possible and I'd spend hours on a random search engine looking up spells and lore. And at that time movies like The Craft and Practical Magic seemed to fill me with more desire to find the truth behind Hollywood hype.
However, I was raised a Catholic and still held on to the beliefs that were a part of me since the cradle. And then I read about ChristoWicca and the Christians and Pagans alike who called it blasphemy and those like me who were intrigued. I created my own prayers/chants and took comfort in the fact that I could blend the two and follow Christ and Sophia.
A year or two passed and I suppose I grew out of it and I felt in the end that the two spiritual paths simply could not co-exist within my heart.
As of now I am your regular friendly neighborhood Pagan with a love for the Tarot and celebrating the Esbats and Sabbats and imagining how truly intense and free the golden age of paganism must have been. I think everyone here has fantasized about being Morgaine Le Fay or The Merlin of Britain once or twice ;-)
So, How did it all begin with you?!
1 comment:
I too grew up seeing the magickal, and people thought I was cracked when I howled at the moon (at 9 or ten) My favourite line was "Full Moon Tonight Eph?" From moon over Bourbon street.
Dark movies always intrigued me, my love for Vampires, Skeletons, and creatures in Horror flicks scared my parents. I used to search for fairy rings and mushroom rings in the hopes over seeing the Fae...and I often waited for my fairy Godmother to take me to my real family (No I was not adopted, just felt different from the rest of them) I was drawn to occult books in the library.
At nineteen I tried to do more research into spells, and witchcraft and herbology and the like. Alchemy, Palm reading and the like was what I read about.My drwaing and painting reflected what I had learnt, symbols all over them.
It all stopped when my mother saw one of the books I had borrowed, and consulted her Catholic friends. It was declared that I had an evil Egyptian spirit trying to posees me....in a round of prayers I was hauled to the priest and made to go through an exorsicm. I sat through it in a daze.....part of me was afraid that they were right, and part of me rebelling still.
I remember leaving there dazed, confused and wondering who I was at my core.....
Needless to say that type of experience causes you to lose sight of yourself. When someone tells you that your inner spirit is evil, where do you go. You go through the motions of being a shell of a person...just doing what others expect of you.
Seven years ago I threw off that crap....Three years ago I found the courage and spark to pick up where I left off and continue reading and studying....... to find there is nothing evil in this space....only beauty and enrichment of spirit exists in the world where people fear to tread. I will continue learning, assessing and practicing. I mix and blend and twist to suit my needs.....developing somethig unique to my experience and love of Wicca.
Post a Comment