Thursday, April 14, 2011

Discomfort or Growing Pains?

I was quite surprised to receive an email detailing a blog article that starts this way:


"Recent additions to our Wiccan Community Blog include persons who do not practice Wicca in any sense of the word, but other non traditional faiths including those of the left-hand path"


Towards the end of this article, a link was provided to a webpage that was a guideline to what defines a Wiccan. This webpage was titled: 'The 13 Basic Wiccan Principles', which was formulated in 1974.


I read the principles - and many of our articles - and have yet to find that any of the recent members violated any of these principles. The only principle that may seem to be in question is the one that states the following:


4.We conceive of the Creative Power in the Universe as manifesting through polarity - as masculine and feminine - and that this same creative Power lives in all people, and functions through the interaction of the masculine and feminine. We value neither above the other knowing each to be supportive of the other.... 


This is mainly because a large part of my philosophy and world-view has been Dianic, and I have quoted from books written by Z Budapest on a few occasions. 
As far as I know however, this path is considered by many to be a WICCAN path; albeit a controversial one. 
Yet I have read of  Wiccans and New Age practitioners interacting regularly with Z Budapest and many of her spiritual daughters, such as Susun Weed (a well respected herbal witch) and Charming Pixie Flora (a modern witch with a strong online presence). Being Dianic in their main practice never stopped them from being a great source of information and guidance to all types of Wiccans - fledgling or otherwise.


Now, if we are to get dogmatic and treat this list of Principles, as a 'Word of God(dess)' concerning what constitutes a Wiccan or not, then we will run into some trouble. Especially since the Introduction to these Principles state:
The Council of American Witches finds it necessary to define modern Witchcraft in terms of the American experience and needs. We are not bound by traditions from other times and other cultures, and owe no allegiance to any person or power greater than the Divinity manifest through our own being. 
So you see our problem?


Now that we got that issue out of the way, I now would like to state what I believe was the real issue behind this article. I believe that the real source of discomfort for some was the fact that some members have vocalised a devotion to the triad of Hecate, Lucifer and Belial. I believe that the scary part is really Lucifer


Now, admittedly, when I first encountered articles referring to this particular path - that honoured Lucifer and Belial as Gods - I did feel a tinge of discomfort. 
However, I also immediately recognised that discomfort as coming from my Christian background, one that most of us share at some level or other. We must remember that this is the same Christianity that demonise characters such as the Horned God and Lucifer, as well as ALL the Gods and Goddesses that many of us interact with. 


Therefore, instead of trying to silence the external trigger, my advice to all of us is to look at ourselves and stop jumping to Christian-programmed conclusions.  



Additionally, I feel that the way this was handled was not in the spirit of the blog. Nowhere have I seen articles that voice a disagreement with these perspectives. None of these persons felt the need to write comments - as far as I can tell - stating their disagreement or discomfort. Instead - it seems to me - they go behind the scenes and complain secretly. This, to me, is so against what I thought was the spirit of this blog.


I know that as part of our culture, we tend to bend over backwards towards public politeness, while secretly pulling strings to get what we really want. Honestly, I am disappointed that this is the part of our culture that has carried over into our blog. Especially one supporting a spiritual path that allows for great independence & personal growth. 

So to say I am disappointed is an understatement. 

Now, conversely, I am very aware that some witches would consider being called 'Wiccan' an insult and not at all a description of their practice. I agree that such people should do the honourable thing and leave this blog to those that are proud Wiccans. 


However, please do not make the mistake of attempting to quiet certain voices and perspectives, merely because some members are 'uncomfortable'. It is - to me- a bad precedent. 

Also, please do not mistake enthusiasm for one's own path as proselytizing. Even if one considers a peson to be evangelizing, to me the best approach is to either ignore or write an article stating one's own perspective in a dignified and principled way.

This sideways approach is saddening and disappointing. Every great relationship requires a point where people stop just being 'polite' and speak the truth to each other, in a dignified, loving and honourable way. It is the only way we can grow. 

So let us embrace our moments of discomfort, so that we can continue to grow and become an even richer community!!!

In Nomine Hecate
Blessed be

Featherstone

3 comments:

Celtic Crystal said...

Perhaps it is growing pains.... I hope so.....Wicca IS so diverse....
Blessed be Guys.

Celtic Crystal

Kore said...

Thank goodness I aint wiccan ;)
I don't follow a particular path I keep the sabbats and love my tarot cards and collect witch hats. Keeping it simple, maybe that'll be a long overdue blogpost?

Keisha said...

@Kore: Oh yes!! Am really looking forward to that post! :)