A while ago I wrote this essay for my Art History class. We had the oppurtunity to write about any topic for this essay and I chose to write about the Divine Feminine and the mark She made in our Global visual culture. There are so many hints and clues as to what happened in our history as humans beings in the very art we produced. These books highlighting Mary Magdalene, the Divine Feminine in Christianity, Da Vinci Code, have been part of a larger trend calling for more clarity in today's religion. We are no longer in the Dark Ages where we do as we are told; we need logic, reason, and rational thinking to light our path for answers.
I do believe humanity has gone through several societal phases and changes. Worldwide evidence points to a time when the Divine as Feminine (as a mother, with nuturing characteristics) was widely worshipped. Look at the continuity of the Venus type figures from Paleolithic to Neolithic times. Let's face it, the feminine is seen as a nuturing, bountiful, force; the Feminine as Divine and the Divine as Feminine is too much for our male dominated traditional religion to teeth on. I aint banging on men, but let's be fair; traditional religion has been dominated by men and I aint seen no rational good answer to prove why.
But the evidence is glaring like I said; there was a point in time when women's place in society was more forward. These texts that show God as a angry, venegful God came from the texts of the Jahwists (research Jahwists and Elohists) and I blame these ancient Jewish priesthoods for screwing up people's view of God because they did serious editing on these scrolls now included in the Torah/ Old Testament, etc.
It's all about politics, power, domination in the end. The victors write the history books right?
I do believe humanity has gone through several societal phases and changes. Worldwide evidence points to a time when the Divine as Feminine (as a mother, with nuturing characteristics) was widely worshipped. Look at the continuity of the Venus type figures from Paleolithic to Neolithic times. Let's face it, the feminine is seen as a nuturing, bountiful, force; the Feminine as Divine and the Divine as Feminine is too much for our male dominated traditional religion to teeth on. I aint banging on men, but let's be fair; traditional religion has been dominated by men and I aint seen no rational good answer to prove why.
But the evidence is glaring like I said; there was a point in time when women's place in society was more forward. These texts that show God as a angry, venegful God came from the texts of the Jahwists (research Jahwists and Elohists) and I blame these ancient Jewish priesthoods for screwing up people's view of God because they did serious editing on these scrolls now included in the Torah/ Old Testament, etc.
It's all about politics, power, domination in the end. The victors write the history books right?
It's interesting to note that both Freud and Jung both said that the fulfilled man and woman had pyschological raits from either sex. For example, Jung talked about the anima in men and in women, the animus. To be truly fulfilled men and women, we need to as, women, explore our masculine side (as well as being feminine of course) and for men, their feminine, nuturing, loving, caring sides.
In closing, I would like to share this essay which, if you have the time, you can download and read: An Exploration of the Divine Feminine in Global Religion & Culture
1 comment:
This was a great essay from what I have read so far. Shows a great level of research. Great work!! Hope you got an A ;)
Post a Comment