Saturday, January 1, 2011

My 2011 New Year Ritual

Well, well, well. We have all made it to another year, and a particularly interesting one for those that consider its numerology. I know for myself that 2010 was very significant, with many changes and the required adjustments. It was a year when I began to understand myself more.

In light of this, I wanted my transition into 2011 to be a conscious one. Believe it or not, I have slept through most transitions in previous years. This time I wanted to enter 2011 awake and aware.

I also wanted to include my spiritual practice for the first time.

So, on Old Year's night, I put together a really simple ritual to signify my transition into 2011. So here is my description of it:

About an hour and a half before midnight, I took a bath and changed into clean clothes. It was a shirt and long pants. I chose a red shirt, because that colour represented my desire for greater passion and energy in my life.

I vigorously swept out my apartment, sweeping all the dust out the front door. While sweeping I envisioned sweeping out all the negative energy that would have accumulated over time. I emptied my kettle and a storage container of drinking water. Put out the garbage, did not replace a garbage bag, and put away all wares.

I took down all my towels and turned all my mats upside down. I also opened most of my windows and doors.

I set up a very simple altar, in the mid point of my apartment. I used a pink candle representing fire element. I chose pink partially because red was not available. However, in hindsight, I see it as the Goddess working with me to ensure that I balanced my request for more passion with love (pink represents love for me).
I burned two types of incense in air section: White Sage and an incense for Healing.
Next to the glass of salted water (water section) I placed my cauldron and my wallet (not in picture). The wallet was to the left and cauldron to the right of the glass. Before midnight, the cauldron was upside down, with money placed under it. After daybreak, I turned over the cauldron and took out the money. My meaning was to signify money flowing into my life this year (wallet next to glass of water), without being lost unnecessarily (overturned cauldron 'protecting' the money).


I also prepared some sandwiches and a cup of water and placed it (with my favourite chocolate bar) to the east of the altar until midnight passed. I then left the apartment and went into the yard.

Once midnight passed, and I greeted my neighbours, I walked back into the apartment. Turned over mats, closed the door, put up towels, etc...
I lit a new White Sage incense stick and ate my meal.

Once I was done, I outed the candle, but left the incense to burn down as I went to bed.

The first thing I noticed after doing this ritual was a simple psychological effect: I really felt like I had started anew.
The energy in my apartment also felt new and different.

So I am now looking forward to all the other effects that will come forth.

Happy New Year everyone!! May the Gods and Goddesses bless, keep and guide us aright, along our chosen path, towards our destiny.

Blessed be :)

5 comments:

Celtic Crystal said...

Great Stuff!!!! One of the things about doing a ritual is the effect they have on your mind. You feel like you are preparing for the thing you wish for...open up and let it in.....!

Keisha said...

Yep. It definitely felt that way. Really felt like I was rearranging my mind and thoughts.

Nazireh Reis said...

Oh wow...I'm now reading this but I think it was an amazing ritual, and full of significant meanings, such as sweeping out your apartment, etc. I'm sure you felt great after; in hindsight, now that it's May, how do you feel about it? Magic has strange ways of working but 'd love to hear your thoughts on how you think your working may have affected your life...

Nazireh Reis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keisha said...

@Nazireh: Sorry I took so long to respond. Just saw your comment. Yes I saw (and continue to see) significant changes in my life. I even took note that - even though I didn't become rich - money did continuously flow to me in order to meet my needs. Except for a few months recently when I needed to be taught an important lesson by my Goddess and God. ;)
Be assured I have learnt it :)